Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Who (k)News?

She says: Fox News is the only truthful news program out right now. At least they give you both sides of the argument and have intelligent people arguing like Bill O'Reilly and Hannity and Colmes.

I respond: I am going to say this once and I want you to listen. Fox News needs to take their cock out of the Bush Administrations asshole.

So for all you Fox News advocates, this post's for you.

Zogby Poll States:
72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year.
90% of Reserves favor withdrawal
83% of the National Guard favor withdrawal
70% of the Army favor withdrawal
58% of the Marines do, too
Almost 75% of National Guard and Reserve units favor withdrawal within 6 months.

42% of active troops are confused about their mission in Iraq
85% stated they were there “to retaliate for Saddam's roll in the 9-11 attacks”
77% said “to stop Saddam from protecting Al Qaeda in Iraq”

93% recognize they are not there to remove Weapons of Mass Destruction.
76% do not believe that the United States is establishing a democracy that can be a model for the Arab world.
11% accept the rationale that securing oil was a major purpose for going to war

Source

"We're making progress of dismantling al Qaeda. Slowly but surely we're bringing the people to justice and the world is better for it...It's not a matter of if they're captured and brought to justice, it's when they're brought to justice." George W. Bush

Bush's Approval rating has "stabilized" at an amazing 40%!

General William Odom, a Retired General, Former national security adviser to President's Carter and Reagan describes the Iraq War as “the most strategic foreign policy disaster in U.S. history.”

Brent Scowcroft, President George H.W. Bush's national security adviser argued in 2002 before the decision to invade Iraq that: “An attack on Iraq at this time would seriously jeopardize, if not destroy, the global counterterrorist campaign we have undertaken.”

Zbigniew Brzezinski, national security adviser to President Carter, describes President George W. Bush's foreign policy as “suicidal statecraft” and writes “Flailing away with a stick at a hornets' nest while loudly proclaiming 'I will stay the course' is an exercise in catastrophic leadership.”

Source
(This guy wants to be a Senator?)

Bush Visits the World's Largest Democracy. Hint: It wasn't America.

Great Pictures

And don't forget that while Dubyah is frolicking about the Middle East, Katrina is getting better...j/k j/k...

I have to go now, but MAN! did that feel good.

8 comments:

Tyreael said...

Although I think this survery is interesting...I am not convinced it is accurate. For one Zogby's basic stance on the unbiased nature of the poll is basically "Trust Me". Among the things he won't tell us about the poll, the most important is probably what were the questions? He is claiming he can't disclose certain things because of security risks, but the questions could clearly not be such a risk. Maybe I just can't find them but 20 minutes of Googling is netting me tons of sites where people are questioning the results and no one has as of yet found the questions.

The HUGE red flag for me was the 85% of troops think they are there to retaliate for Saddam's role in 9/11. Plus the fact that reenlistment numbers for troops in Iraq is in direct opposition to the huge number in this survey who say we should be out. I really want to see the questions.

The Cobra said...

I can't find anything that says the questions are security risks. I did find this:

"The survey included 944 military respondents interviewed at several undisclosed locations throughout Iraq. The names of the specific locations and specific personnel who conducted the survey are being withheld for security purposes. Surveys were conducted face-to-face using random sampling techniques. The margin of error for the survey, conducted Jan. 18 through Feb. 14, 2006, is +/- 3.3 percentage points."

Source

And you need to stop watching Bill O'Reilly

Rockel said...

1) polls suck
2) O'Reilly sucks
3) "Trust me" - W

Doyle said...

OK, let me just point out a couple things. First of all, picked Bush because I couldn't stand Kerry. Any man that won't carry a bird he shoots or holds a gun in a large crowd with his finger on the trigger is not to be trusted (there's more reasons than that, but those clinched it for me). So, I am not completely thrilled w/ good ol' Dubya, but I preferred him to the competition.

Now, on to other comments:

First of all, I know people in said war, and keep in touch with their families here in the US. If you want me to get them to poll some people, I will. I can pretty much tell you, those polls are crap. I think Tyreael can do the same.

Second: Warning, this statement is cruel, but truthful. I feel bad for the victims of Katrina, but I cannot pity them like so many wish me to. The simple truth is they live in the Hurricane Belt of the US. Do you see us doling out huge amounts of national sympathy and aid to those in the midwest who are struck by hundreds of tornadoes every year? Nope. How about the Northeast, where snow is a regular part of life, and yet people continue to live within that system. The simple truth is, those people choose to live there. If you choose to live in an area, it is your responsibility to be knowledgeable about its weather, climate, and any other issues that will effect you, as well as take precautions about it. I live in NC. If I get bit by a snake, that's my fault, not the snake's (who is just protecting itself within its natural habitat), not the national government's, and most certainly it is not newsworthy. Should we help? Yes, we should. Should we blame a ton of people? No, that's just what happens when you live on the Gulf Coast.

Third and Final:
You can't honestly quote anyone from Jimmy Carter's Administration and expect to be taken seriously. I'm sorry, Carter was an anomaly as far as politics go. He was a nice guy who got into office, but never really did anything but keep the country running for 4 years before we got Reagan and one of America's golden ages as far as presidents go. Yeah, I know Camp David agreement and China, but he was basically just doing maintenance on where we were, not moving forward. Granted, being elected the leader of the Free World is impressive, and I give him credit for that, but comparing him to other Presidents, he is found lacking. I honestly think that even Bill Clinton was a better President, and I didn't like Clinton.

The Cobra said...

First of all, I think more people should get pissed about numbers instead of the issues the numbers bring to light.

Second: Perhaps we tell the people of Tornado Alley, Blizzard Central, and the Hurricane Belt to move and leave those parts of the nation uninhabited. While we're at it, let's abandon San Andreas as well. And if they don't move and they die by the whims of nature, eh, they shoulda moved.

Third and Final:
Jimmy Carter was a freakin' genius who realized that we had more issues at home that needed "maintenance" and that they were more worthy of his efforts than nation building in the middle east or eastern Europe.

Tyreael said...

"Jimmy Carter was a freakin' genius"

Did you have a straight face when you said that? ;)

And I never watch O'Reily thanks, don't even have cable.

And I think I misspoke when I said the questions were security risks. What I meant was Zogby has said he is not disclosing various things because they are security risks, including the stuff you quoted, but I don't see why he is not releasing the questions as those could hardly be considered security risks. I'd just like to know what was asked and compare that to the articles about the poll. Again, the Saddam thing. 85% of our soldiers thinking we are there to retaliate for his role in 9/11??? That is crazy. My brother (in-law) is in the Marines, and is over there right now actually, and he would be the first one to tell you that everybody knows Saddam was not *involved* and that this is not retaliation for that. That question had to ask something else, but in a way where a pollster could extrapolate that 85% thought X.

I agree with Rockel, polls suck.

Doyle said...

I didn't say move, I just said deal with the issues that you face in the area you live in. Own up and be responsible for your choices. Also, by the same token as what you said about the "whims of nature", how can you blame the government for the whims of nature?

As to Carter, you are entitled to your opinion. I would just like to point out his book-ends. One Gerald Ford, who had to try to put the government back together after Nixon screwed it up, and then Reagan, who does not need me to list his resume. There have been worse presidents than Carter, but there have been many more stronger presidents. And if he was so focused on things here at home, how is it that we continued on the inflation and interest rate train? Everyone was getting jobs, but everything was costing more as that happened. You don't improve anything by creating jobs that people cannot profit from. I think my favorite thing he did was make our National Parks bigger. Again, none of this sounds like a phenomenal president, more just one doing basic maintenance without ever moving us forward.

Ditto to polls sucking.

bujinkankid said...

no comment on carter, or o'reilly...but I would say that in the panhandle of Florida, along the coast where people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for houses and condos on the beach, you cannot get homeowners insurance because there is a very good chance you'll need it and Florida insurance companies know it's fairly stupid to own (and insure) property where it will consistently get hammered....(at least where I lived) Take from that whatever you want...

As far as polls go, I think most polls are fairly useless based on the fact that people conducting them always have an opinion which they probably want to see validated, and no matter how impartial and unbiased they may try to make their questions, they are probably still going to lean one way or the other....in question and/or interpretation. Much like scientists trying to prove a theory.

and...I hate the media.